Thursday, November 18, 2010

No Bake cookies, Potato candy, Apple Butter.

As I stated in my other post. Beth needs a couple of recipes from me. I send them to her each year and each year she loses them. The first, No Bake cookies, I've been making since I was a kid. Gee, that means the recipe is over 45 years old. I've seen many versions of these the last few years but it's so funny how they never seem to grow old like some recipes do. The Potatoe Candy recipe, I found in m Mom's recipe box but we never had it growing up, at least not that I can recall. I don't think Mom was a huge fan of coconut. As for the apple butter... I have never really followed a recipe for it. I knew apples.. a mix of apples is better than just using one kind of apple.. a tart Granny Smith, a Roma or two and a couple of Red and or Yello deliouse apples. some brown sugar, spices and let it cook down.. that's "my" recipe but Beth needs more structure than that. She needs measurements. I asked in one of my chatty groups for recipes and hope to get them soon because I like trying out someone else's recipes as well

******

No Bake Cookies

1/2 C Milk
1/2 C Butter
2 C Sugar
3 C Quick oats
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C Peanut Butter
6 Tbsp Cocoa
3/4 C Chopped Nuts

Put milk, butter, sugar, vanilla, peanut butter and cocoa in large pan. Heat and stir util buttermelts and mix is smooth. Remove from heat, and add oats and nuts. mix well. drop by spoon onto wax paper. Chill until firm.

From Mom's recipe box


****

Mashed Potato Candy

1/4 C Hot Mashed Potatoes
1 3/4 C Powder Sugar
1 1/2 c Flake Coconut
1/4 tsp Orange Zest (any Citris Zest will work)
3/4 C Chopped Nuts
1 tsp melted Butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Combine potatoes and butter. Add sugar and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop by spoon onto wax paper covered cookie sheet, or form into a roll, chill and slice. Keep in closed container.

These are a family favorite every year, And any kid can make them...
From My Mom's recipe box.

*****

Penn-Dutch Apple Butter
"Pantry Treasures"
Ohio Council of Catholic Women
1977
4 quarts sliced Apples
1 quart Water
1 quart Sweet Cider
2 pounds Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Cloves
Wash and cut up apples. Add water and boil until soft. Press them through a food mill or vieveto remove skins and cores. Put apple pulp and sugar into boiling cider. Continue boiling, stirring constantly in a figureeight (8) to prevent scorching. When it thickens, add the spices and cook until thick enough to spread. Seal in sterized jars.

*****

Crockpot Apple Butter
Apples, enough cut up to fill 3 1/2 quart crockpot (aprox 3 pounds)
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup apple Cider
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
Cut blemishes off apples and cut intot chunks to feill a 3 1/2 quart Crockpot. Add sugar, cider and lemon juice. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir. Add cinnamon and cook another 10 hours. Stir occasionally, until all has turned brown. Run through food mill or any strainer to strain out seeds and skins. (can use a blender). To thicken, if not thick enough, return to Crockpot and cook on High uncovered until desired consistency. Yeald 3 to 4 pints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love to read your blog. wish you had a way to send the comments you write about each day to those who read it. other blogs i read do. they have you put the e-mail address on feedburner. keep writing girl. jana

Mountainrose said...

There is a way. I found out I can send it to up 10 emails addresses. I didn't know that until just now. There is a follow me button at the very bottom of the current page.. under the camper, under the flowers and close to a list of those who follow me. don't know it that helps or not.