Monday, November 22, 2010

Crock pot Apple Butter

Crock Pot Applebutter
 
I was going to post a picture of this as I made it.  I forgot and left my camera in the van last night.
 
I peeled up enough Red Delicous (sp) apples to fill my crockpot. Before I started that though, I added a cup of apple juice and a big splash of lemon juice and turned it on.  I washed tha apples as I peeded and cored them and cut them into chunks. I put the lid on and let them cook for 2 hours before stiring the first time. put the lid back on and let them cook another hour and stir another hour.  I then stirted again and they were breaking up well. Adding 1/4 cup Molasses (eyeballed it) 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, 1 teaspoon Salt and let that cook for an hour with the lid on. Removed the lid, and added in 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Ginger, 1 teaspoon Nutmeg and 1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds.  Let that cook with the lid off until it starts to thicken.. Taste, if it's not sweet enough add white sugar, 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time, until it's just the right sweetness for you.   From here, I will store in the fridge in a recycled jar I have. I know you can waterbath to keep it but we eat it so fast that I don't have to put it away.
 
Billie C.
http://thelifeofbilliec.blogspot.com/

Moderation, not deprivation, is the key to a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!

309/274





No comments: