Add a soft glow to any room with this easy-to-create votive surround. Can you believe it's made from a placemat?
- Canvas placemat
- Sheer ribbon, 1/4" wide, 72" length: sage green, cream
- Glass votive candle holder
- Votive candle
- Paper (for punching guide), 8-1/2"x14"
cutting board, craft knife, scissors, stapler, pencil
- Floral stamps of choice
- Ink pads: soft pink, soft rose, soft celery, soft sage, crimson
- Silver embossing powder or very fine silver glitter
- Standard hole punch
- 1. To make punching guide, use pencil to mark hole placement on 8-1/2"x14" sheet of paper. Along each 8-1/2" side, mark 1/8" down from top and 3/4" from side edges. Continue marking holes evenly spaced (1" apart) for a total of nine holes. Mark holes along one 14" edge in same way. Punch holes.
- 2. Trace punching guide onto placemat; cut out. Holding guide and shade together as one, punch holes in shade.
- 3. Stamp four large two-step flowers randomly on shade with soft pink backgrounds and soft rose outlines.
- 4. Stamp random small two-step flowers in clusters around large flowers with soft rose backgrounds and crimson outlines. Stamp soft sage large and small stems close to appropriate flowers.
- 5. Stamp two or three large two-step leaves around large flowers with soft celery backgrounds and soft sage outlines. While ink is still wet, lightly sprinkle powder or glitter on leaves. In same way, stamp one or two small leaves around small flowers.
- 6. Place shade on cutting board. Use craft knife to carefully cut around each large leaf, leaving intact at inner points close to flowers.
- 7. To assemble the candle shade, roll shade into cylinder, overlapping edges 1/2"; staple to secure. (Note: Do not cover punch holes when stapling.)
- 8. Cut 48" lengths from ribbon. Holding ribbons together as one, insert through bottom holes and pull through until even. Lace back of shade in same way as shoe; leave ends trailing. Lace remaining ribbon lengths through holes in top of shade. Tie all ribbon ends into a bow.
- 9. Gently push cut-out leaves out to allow light to shine through shade. Place shade over lit candle in glass votive holder.
- 1. In homes with small children, use a flameless votive in place of the candle.