Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekly Menu for Jun 19 - 26

Chili Mac, Salad, pudding
steak, Baked potato, Salad, Cake
Ham, Mashed potatoes, salad, Jello
pork chops,  rice.   Cake or Pudding w Banana
Chili Cheese Fries, Salad, Graham Crackers
steak, Baked Potato, Salad, Jello
 
 
Salad
As you can see, I have salad listed for each day. Salad's are easy to make. I make each one fresh after starting the rest of the meal. It's more of habit than anything. First, after cleaning a head of lettuce and letting the water drain back out of it. I fill about the bottom 1/3rd of the bowl with that. I'll then clean and cut in 1/2 a Green Pepper and a large Cucumber. I'll place 1/2 back into a plastic bag for tomorrows' meal then cut each in 1/2 again and then slice across and add to each bowl so we each get 1/4th of the pepper and cucumber. I don't peel the cucumber often. I'll clean and trim up 8 radishes and we each get 4 in our bowl, usually I'll cut each into 4th's.  I'll then rinse off a tomato, remove the stem area, and cut in 1/2. I'll slice each into 4 or 5 slices and add to the bowl. That's our salad.  if I have any Carrots or celery, I'll add those to my salad. Hubby may get some Carrots but he's not fond of much else in the basic Salad. Oh, If I have grapes or an apple I'll add some to each salad but we don't do that too often. I'll cut up some broccolie if I have it and add to my salad.
 
Seems like a long explanation about how to make  a simple salad, right?
 
Chili Mac
I'll make Mac and Cheese the easiest way.  I'll fix a box of Mac and Cheese, as per the directions on the box. I'll keep the mac in the pan and mix everything in it. After the Mac and Cheese is done, I'll open and add a can of Chili (No beans) to the pan and stir in it well with a low flame under it.

Pudding
Follow the instructions on the back of the box. I'll add a splash of vanilla to the milk before adding it to the mix and or I'll add some Chocolate chips to each dish.

Steak
We don't have a grill. I'll season each side of the steak with some Cajun Seasoning (Thank you, Vickie, we love it) then place in a very lighted oiled iron skillet over a medium heat. Jerry likes his steaks well done and I like mine medium rare. turning them over only once.
 
 
Baked Potatoes
I'll use my crockpot and my vegetable steamer. I'll place some water in the bottom of the crock, put two large potatoes on it, then let "cook" for 4 to 6 hours.
 
Cake
"If" I make the cake it will be early in the morning, before the heat of the day starts. I'll make a one egg cake since it's small and just the right size for the two of us. I'll bake in in the tabletop oven we bought last Thanksgiving.

Easy One Egg Cake
1 1/4 cup flour
2/3 c milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 c shortening
2 tsp Baking Powder
 1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Salt
1 egg
 

heat oven to 350°. Grese and flour bottom of a 8 to 9 inch round cake pan, or 8 inch square pan. Blend all the ingredients at low speed on the mixer until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a pick come out clean. Bake cupcakes for 18 minutes, or pick come out clean.
 

Ham
Since it's a pre cooked slice, I'll cut it in half and warm in a cast iron skillet with a bit of water to keep it from drying out. no glaze or seasonings needed.
 

Mashed Potatoes
From a box. I'm going to use evaporated milk instead of 2% and see if it makes a difference.
 

Jello,
as per directions on the back of the box. I'll add either canned Pineapple or slice up a banana between two ramikins for the two of us. I have some applesauce that I may try adding to see if Jerry would like it.
 

Pork Chops
Since I don't have any oil and vinegar dressing, I'm going to try something I saw on T.V. last week and use Ranch Dressing mix to season them with, and cook in a skillet.

Rice
Put 1 cup of water and 1/2 a cup of rice in my rice maker, add a bit of salt or beef boullion or season salt and set to cook.
 

Pudding with Banana.
 My version of individual puddings. I'll crush up a sleeve of honey Grahams and place a couple of tablespoons worth in the bottom of two Ramakins. A bit of Butter and pressed to the bottom and sides. Mix up the Pudding mix as per directions on the package. I'll then slice up a banana between the two dishes, and then spoon the pudding on top of them. Sprinkle some more Graham Crackers on top.
 

Chili Cheese Fries.
Deep Fry some French Fries or cut your own from Fresh Potatoes, Place in bowl, Warm up chili on the stove, Spoon a couple of spoonfuls over Fries then add some cheese. Either jar cheese that's been warmed up, or some shredded cheese and let it melt.
 

No comments: