Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12

 
Good Morning...
Happy Birthday to my Father in Law, may he rest in peace.  He would be over 100, but not sure how much over since I have been told three different years of when he was born.
 
Outside my door ...  It's mid morning. I thought I had my crafts newsletter sent off before I went back to bed, only to get up at 7:30 and find it still on my computer. I'm guessing this foggy morning is not helping the internet out any. I think we are past the "Prime" of the fall colors.. and it's sad. Most of the leaves didn't change color all that much. They just fell off the trees after drying out.  This morning, while walking the dogs in the back.. an acorn fell off a tree and hit me in the shoulder. I'm surprised I don't have a bruse cause it stung for a bit, afterwards. I swear, I thought I heard a squirrel  laughing, as well.
the dogs enjoyed our walk yesterday evening, that's for sure. First off, they got people to pet them. More than one person... one a kid... now if I can just get them to stop jumping up on people.. expecally Macon cause he's so big. They love attention.. Then, when we finally got over to the grass they get to pee on, another dog was walked past us. A femalie (in heat no less) and Rocky was allowed to meet her. I held tight to Macon as he'd had enough attention and I was afraid he'd get a bit more aggressive if he got close to her. Barney stayed by me. Well, between me and the dog and owner but closer to me.  Finally, we got down toward the lakes edge. I had to slow them down.. They can jump down the bank, but I can not, I have to inch my way down a steep (three large steps otherwise) side, then over a tree with lots of stobs on it (broken off branches that stick out in all directions ) And of course, I have to then untangle two of the three leads from around those stobs. By then, We are at the waters' edge. Man on man, Barney loves to get wet. I mean full out, over his head wet.  Then Macon decided that ,"Hey, water isn't all that bad, when your playing in it".  and he jumped into the water, as well.. Rocky only got his lower legs wet. and watched the other two make fools of themselfs in the water. He then went and found himself a stick to chew up. Of course then the other two have to find a stick to chew up.  Getting out of that area is easier as there is another path up. The dogs just didn't want to go that way and it was easier to follow than pull them around. The Cats ...spent most of yesterday in the kennel. And even today they are still trying to stay at the door and are totally soaked from the squirt bottle.  I brought in the wire mesh. Now i have to find out if I have the self tapping screws here in the camper or if they are in the van ... I may just have to buy more. I have three windows to place the mesh over.
We have a fan to move the air and it went out on us, yesterday.  I told Jerry when he called but he didn't want to stop on his way home. either tonight or tomorrow night, he's going to have to stop and pick up a bag of dog food. I'm sure it will be tomorrow cause "Survivor" is on tonight, and he hates to miss one second of that.
I had a bit of corn meal in a bag in the cupboard and I wanted to get it out of my way. I made corn bread from it,, and ended up feeding most of it to the dogs, it was too stale and although it wasn't bad, it wasn't all that good either. The dogs and cats loved it, though.
 
From the kitchen... Chicken, potatoes, salad. Green Beans
 
I'm going to use this recipe, tonight. I will have to cut the recipe in 1/2 though. I'll use the roaster oven to bake in and will add in a couple of potaotes, as well. I'm also thinking of adding in a can of green beans. I have a small pan that I can put those in, to the side the baking potatoes so everything is seperated.
 
Crispy Baked Chicken
 from the back of a instant potatoes box.
 
4 boneless, skinless, Chicken Breast
1 cup Instant Mashed potatoes (not made up)
1 1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
6 Tablespoon Butter or Margarine, melted
   Cooking spray
  Gallon sized plastic Bag
 
   Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse chicken in cold water, drain but do not pat dry. Spray a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan with the cooking spray. In the plastic bag, combine potato flakes and seasoned salt. Shake to blend. Pour the melted butter into a small bowl. Coat the Chicken with butter, Place one piece of chicken in the bag with the seasoned potatoe flakes and shake well until coated. Place chicken in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
           ******
I would make this, if I had the cream of chicken soup. Jerry is not fond of any "cream of " but I keep trying to find one he's ok with.
BUTTERMILK BAKED CHICKEN
 
1 frying chicken (about 3 lbs.), cut up
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
 
Dip chicken in 1/2 cup buttermilk and roll in flour seasoned
with the salt and pepper. Put butter in 13x9x2 inch baking
pan and melt in hot oven (425 degrees). Put chicken in pan
skin side down and bake 30 minutes. Turn and bake 15
minutes.
 
Mix remaining buttermilk and the soup and pour around the
chicken. Bake 15 minutes longer until tender.
 
         *****
I want to make up some cookie dough and keep it in the freezer. I wonder if this one will be a good recipe to freeze now and bake later?
Butter Cookies
Two sticks of butter (1/2 lb)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
Place butter in mixing bowl, and with electric mixer, beat until smooth. Add the sugar, beat on medium speed about three minutes, until fluffy. Add the egg, mix well. Add vanilla and salt, mix well.
Stir in the flour a little at a time, using low speed. Mix just enough to incorporate the flour.
Using a cookie press, press into desired shapes onto ungreased cookie sheets, an inch apart. Sprinkle colored sugar on them if desired, bake in a 350 degree F oven, for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom and at the edges.
These cookies hold their shape and don't spread. If you don't have a press, you can take 1 tsp. of dough, roll into a ball, and press flat with a fork. Makes about 4-5 dozen cookies, depending on size.
**********
I am hearing... "The View" is on. and I'm hearing birds outside, and the cats mewing at each other.

No comments: