Friday, November 2, 2012

Poor man cake

Growing up in Western Colorado, sometimes it was hard to have a cake turn out "just right" this cake came out each and every time.  I know it sounds strange to use vinegar in a cake but I swear, you don't taste it at all.. This is a heavy cake and stands up well to any frosting and decorating.
 
One memory I have is, One night between my birthday and my Grandfather's birthday, He and his wife showed up at our house. (he had an appointment at the VA that day) and when he heard I had a cake in the oven when and jumped in the middle of the kitchen floor in hopes of making my cake fall.  Only about a 1/3rd of it fell, Just enough for him to enjoy.  We enjoyed it with some Vanilla Ice Cream.  And I remember the gift they brought me. A Kodak Camera that took 127 film. I had that camera until we lost our home to a fire in 1996. 
 
 
Poor man cake
1/2 C Lard
2 C Sugar
2 1/2 C Flour
1/2 c Cocoa
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C Hot Water
1 Tbls Vinegar
Cream Sugar and lard. Sift together flour, Cocoa and Baking Soda combine vinegar, water and vanilla.
Add each in parts to the creamed sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.
From my childhood. Love this cake, it is a heavy cake. We never gav mom a chance to ice it, but any icing will work on it...
 

Billie C.

Christmas countdown banner

No comments: