Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Decemer 15, 2010. New England Clam Chowder



For Today... Decemer 15, 2010


Late start for me this day. We woke up to ice and freezing rain when we first got up. My knee is still bothering me a bit, so after breakfast I talked Jerry into walking the dogs for me. Which he kinda needed to do anyway to check out the roads. There is a wooden bridge close to one of the three dog walking area's here, and he wanted to see how icy it was. Very icy. So he went back to bed and I fell asleep on the couch, as has been my usual for the last few days. I woke up about 8:30 and by the time I woke up and got up and dressed it was time to walk the dogs, again.


With my sore knee I was taking it very easy and having the dogs on leads was intresting but they really understood that, this time, I meant it that they could not be at the end of their lines. I took about three steps on that wooden bridge and wow was it slick. I backed off, real carefully. I took the longer walk to the entrance where another dog walk is. Because I had the dogs, I couldn't rightly check in the office for our mail. Because Jerry decided that it was warm enough for the roads to be in good shape, and was leaving for work, I asked him to check to see if we had any mail while he was leaving, since it's hard for me to check with the dogs. I asked him to call me if we did... Well, he called, we did, and it's on the counter in the office. "what!" "why didn't you pick it up.. " "I thought you wanted it" "Well yeah, I can read it when you bring it home after work."


 


there's no saying that any one will even be in the office next time I walk the dogs.


Jerry had to go back into the office and pick it up. We lost connection and I called him back and told him.. take it to work with him and I could read it when he got home tonight, I just needed it picked up cause I don't know how far I'll be able to walk today.


 


 Outside my door ... It's a cold, wet, icy day and I'm sure glade that the camper is nice and dry and warm.


 


The dogs ... Are sleeping. they had a lot of fun this morning playing hard while Jerry was here. they thought it much fun that I let them run to him when we saw him outside by the van. At first, they were a bit hesatant about going anywhere, but he called them and then they scooted over right away. They then proceeded to play and in the middle of that, Rocky's collar slipped off. That happens often when they play as it's a chain collar and is way too big for him. He went straight to the door and waited for Jerry to open it as he knows he's not to be outside without a lead on. Macon was right on his heels, still wanting to play.


The Kittens ... Are asleep as well. One of them figured a way to open a small box of straight pins and managed to spill them all over the counter, the dog kennels and the floor. I've been finding pins all day, so far. I think I may have them stopped from using our beds for potty. We were at Home Depot the other day, and I went looking for cleaning supplies. I found the right department. I was looking for anything with a very strong orange scent to it, so the cats would avoid the beds all together. I found a couple of things, one was an odore remover. I used it first.. on both foam mattrisses. spraying both down well till they were soaked. sitting them on edge to help keep the kittens off.. well they liked sleeping on the upper edge of them. (ha ha) once they dried, I sprayed them, again. and let them dry again. Then I sprayed them with a very strong smelling air freshner. The scent has lasted for three days so far. I sprayed them this morning to refresh the scent. All the pets still enjoy sleeping on the beds, but so far, no more wet spots.


 


From the kitchen... I'm going to bake a frying chicken. we both like a good baked chicken. Jerry likes light meat and I like dark meat. I hope to make Chicken soup out of any left overs, when I'm done. I'll bake a couple of potates or maybe a potatoe for Jerry and a sweet potato for me.


 


I am hearing... the tv and the fan off the heater.


 


I am wearing... grey sweatpants and a light t-shirt. I will slip on a sweat shirt before I walk the dogs here in a bit.


I am reading... emails and recipes.




***********


New England Clam Chowder


"From Our Home to Yours"


Ozark First Church of the Nazarene


2004


2 slices Bacon


1 cup Onion, Finly chopped


2 cups Potatoes, cubed


1 teaspoon Salt


dash of Pepper


2 Cans minced Clams or 1 pint shucked fresh Clames


2 cups Half and Half


2 Tablespoons Butter or Marigarine


Chop Bacon coarsely. Cook in large skillet until almost crisp. Add onions, cook about 5 minutes. Add cubed potatoes, salt, pepper and 1 cup of water. Cook, uncovered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Meanwhile, drain clams, reserving liquid. Chop clams coarsely. Add Clams, 1/2 of the clam liquid, the half and half, and butter to the pot. mix well. Heat about 3 minutes but do not boil.



1 comment:

macon church said...

Sounds like a great day except for the weather.