A "Southern Living" Recipe
1 cup boiling water
1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Garnishes: celery leaves, fresh cranberries
2. Spoon mixture into a lightly oiled individual molds or a 4-cup mold. Cover and chill until firm Unmold onto lettuce-lined plates. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Thai Coconut Pineapple Rice
Recipe Source: www.weightwatchers.com via Tastyplanner
* 1 cup(s) water
2 tsp ginger root, fresh, minced
1/2 tsp table salt
* 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
* 1 cup(s) pineapple, fresh, diced
* 1/2 cup(s) scallion(s), chopped
1/4 tbsp mint leaves, fresh, chopped
2 tbsp chopped almonds, toasted
* 1/2 medium lime(s), cut into 4 wedges
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, water, ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add pineapple, scallions and mint (do not stir). Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds; fluff rice with a fork. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over rice. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
"Tastes of the South," Stringer Maroon Pride High School Band, MS
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
8 (10-oz.) cans chicken broth
1 large potato, diced
1 cup frozen lima beans
1 cup whole kernel corn
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 (16-oz.) can red kidney beans
1 (16-oz.) can pumpkin
Salt, pepper to taste
Garlic to taste
1/2 pint half-and-half
Chicken, cooked and chopped
Saute onion in butter. Add broth and vegetables. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add beans, pumpkin and half-and-half. Add chicken.
from the Nov. 2010 issue of Today in Mississippi
Mississippi Cooks: Featured Cookbook
- 1 cup milk ( I used almond milk)
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Handful of ice
Pineapple Chicken Tenders
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
0.5 cup packed brown sugar
0.333 cup light soy sauce
2 pounds chicken breast tenders, raw
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix pineapple juice, brown sugar and soy sauce. Remove from heat just before the mixture comes to a boil.
2. Place chicken tenders in a medium bowl. Cover with juice mixture, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil grate. Thread chicken onto wooden skewers.
4. Grill chicken tenders about 5 minutes per side, until no longer pink and juices run clear. They cook quickly, so watch them closely.