Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 10

I'm slow going today. I stayed up, reading emails and sending off my Crafts News letter, before heading back to bed at 7am.. got up around 9:30, took out the dogs and got a bit of breakfast. Been picking at the house a bit, watching a bit of T.V. and not really seeming to get any one thing done. I did run dish water, but now I have to wait until the milk cools for my yogurt before I can clear the sink and do up the dishes. The stovetop has a cover and I put all my dirty dishes on that before washing so I have room in the sink to rinse things after they are washed.
 
orginal recipe
Veggies with Dip
 
Mix powdered onion soup mix into a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt and you've got a tasty, low-cal, high-calcium dip that's perfect for jazzing up strips of green pepper or celery sticks.
 
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 package onion soup mix
8 green pepper strips or celery sticks
 

Calories: 150
(my version)
1 cup yogurt
1/2 package Ranch Dressing mix (more or less to taste)
Cut up vegetables.
I used the last of my yogurt to make a Veggie dip with, so I'm making more yogurt today.
Homemade Yogurt
small batch
1 quart Milk
1/4 cup Yogurt
 
Pour Milk into a large enough pot to hold Milk and more. Place on burner and boil on high heat. Do not leave unattended. Milk rises as it boils and will make a mess if your not careful
As soon as it starts to boil, turn off the heat, let the milk go back down. Turn the heat back on to medium for another 3 to 4 minutes. Stirring gently so it boils like water, Take off stove and place on a trivet to cool off.
Beat the plain yogurt so that it is smooth. When Milk is lukewarn to the touch, add in the beaten yogurt and stir at least 2 to 3 minutes to make sure it is well incorportated.
Transfer into the container which will be the final resting place to keep your yogurt until it is comsumed. Place it back on the trivet in an area where it will not be disturbed, Put a cover on top, cover with several kitchen towels. It will turn into yogurt in 5 to 6 hours.
After it has sat out, take off the towels, open the top, it will have become yogurt. Place a couple of paper towels on top, to absorb the whey. Place in the fridge and use as needed, Save some to make the next batch.
 
Jerry thought the air conditioner has stopped spitting water onto my bed.. NO, my bed is still damp.  and I'm getting frustrated with it all. I put the rain coat over my bed to at least try to keep it dryer.
I still need to take the styrofoam ice chest out with me, and see about making a cover outside on the window that the air conditioner is in.. The cats think it's ok to come in that way and when they come in through there, they are jumping on me. They also know they can get out that way. I need to stop them
I just finished up the dishes, not that there were a lot of them. We have been eating out a lot. I really need to get back to cooking now that the tempatures are going back down a bit this week.
Jerry got rained out an hour from the end of the day. He said he called but after 5 rings it went to voice mail so he left me a message. The phone was right by me the whole time. I finally got his message, at 9:30 pm. after we had gone to bed.
Jerry asked our neighbor if he would help him take back the rented truck. They were back just a bit after 6 and we had Chicken, Alfredo noodles and Salad for dinner.
 

Billie C.
http://thelifeofbilliec.blogspot.com

"Morning is wonderful. Its only drawback is that it comes at such an inconvenient time of day."
Glen Cook


No comments: