Thursday, December 24, 2009

White Christmas

If the forcast is to be believed, We are going to get socked with snow, starting Thursday afternoon and going through to Friday evening. According to what I've found. we could get as little as 3 inches of snow and as much as 10 inches. If only this had happened when our kids were younger, much younger. All the pets have been brought in, tonight. The garage door closed. I didn't realize that we only have a couple of jugs of water left. The house has running water, but the landlord doesn't recomend that we drink it. It's ok for cooking (boiling) and cleaning and bathing though. I asked Hubby to take the empty jugs to the van. don't know if we will refill them in the morning, wait until afternoon. or wait until the day after Christmas. We don't have much left in the account, and need to watch carefully every penny. Luckly, A box I was expecting came in from my daughter in Tennessee. In it was a few things I had ordered and paid for, back in September. Hubby already knows what his gift is. A Harly Davidson Calendar. Darling Daughter hasn't a clue that she's even getting something under her tree. I hope to surprise her with a couple of items. One from her Dad and one from me.

We are expecting company for dinner. First we were, then we were not. then we are again. yikes, how is a woman to keep up with it all? DD said that the Ham is on the dock at work, will bring it home tonight. I picked up enough other goodies (she paid for them) to cover the rest of the meal. I did do a bit of baking and candy making this evening. I made a banana nut bread and some mashed potatoe candy. I should make up some vanilla pudding as well. I keep saying I'm going to, then forget that I wanted to.

I "hear" my brother is expecting some snow and will having some fun with his dogs. I wish him the best of it, for sure, because I really don't like the cold any more. I don't know why we can't have snow and 75F degrees .. would be so nice if we could. I do hope that, sometime in the future, Hubby and I could go visit him in Alaska. It would be fun to see where he lives and meet the people he hangs with.

I don't do much "Hanging" myself. We are never in a place long enough to really get to know any one well. That is one of the draw backs of working construction. Sometimes we get lucky and can be in a place for a couple of years, other times, we are only in a place a few weeks. Just when I get to where I know my way around well, we up and move, again.

Hubby is still job hunting. Construction jobs are hard to find at this time of the year. I know that it may be spring before he is working again. A lot will depend on the Money and who gets the contracts. We keep jumping when his phone rings, but it's not about a job.

Here lately it's been ringing with someone asking if he would like to go back to college. Um. NO. would help if we had a way to pay for college. He tells them to remove his name and number and hangs up on them. But I keep wondering why he gets those calls and I don't. He got scam calls about a "Bank of Kansas City" having trouble with the card.. There is no "Bank of Kansas City". Every time we do get a call that even remotely says the cards have been comprmises (sp) We call our bank and talk to one of the tellers. They apprecate that we call first. We will give them all the infor we can, and they then contact the Banking commision or who ever and let them know what new scams are going on. it's truly a sad time when even your bank account can be ripped off.


here is the banana bread recipe I made this evening

Banana Bread

½ cup softened butter

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 very ripe bananas)

2 cups flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tesp nutmeg

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. salt

1 cup chopped walnuts , reserve a few for the top of the bread

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add one egg at a time and beat until smooth. Blend in the mashed bananas.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nuts.

Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture until well blended.

Grease (or use baking spray) one regular size loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans. Add batter and bake for 1 hour for the larger loaf or 35 minutes for the smaller loaves. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes then remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.





And here is the Mashed Potato Candy recipe as well

Mashed Potato Candy

1/4 C Hot Mashed Potatoes

1 3/4 C Powder Sugar

1 1/2 c Flake Coconut

1/4 tsp Orange Zest (any Citris Zest will work)

3/4 C Chopped Nuts

1 tsp melted Butter

1/2 tsp Vanilla

Combine potatoes and butter. Add sugar and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop by spoon onto wax paper covered cookie sheet, or form into a roll, chill and slice. Keep in closed container.

These are a family favorite every year, And any kid can make them...

From My Mom's recipe box.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Billie, it's fran from countrywomen group. I've been wondering how you set up your blog. If you would like to help me out, email me. It's frankozi28@yahoo.com. I've been keeping up with you since you left!
Fran

Mountainrose said...

Fran, I've not left. Just can't get to it, right now. I"m on yet another computer. Hubby's laptop. Out of kilobits on the sprint service. Will post soon, to Countywomen, I promise. For some reason, this has not been my seaon with computers at all.