Chicken thighs with dumplings and veggies.
1/2 cup fat free milk
2 cans 14.5 oz each low sodium chicken broth
1 onion, sliced
1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose baking mix
16 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbs oil
1/4 + 1/8 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp dried thyme
In plastic bag combine 1/3 cup baking mix, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add chicken, toss to coat in mixture, reserving any that doesn't cling. In pot, heat oil. Add chicken cook until lightly browned, 6 min. per side. Add onion and garlic cook until softened, 3 min.
---Stir baking mix mixture reserved from coating step into 1/4 cup broth until smooth. Pour into pot with vegetables and remaining broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Combine milk with remaining baking mix, thyme, salt and pepper until soft dough forms. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls on simmering chicken mixture, cook turning dumplings once until dumplings are cooked through and chicken is no longer pink, 20 min. then SERVE...
Macaroni and cheese with tuna and broccoli.
2 cans 6 oz each tuna in water, drained, flaked
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup flour
4 tbs margarine or butter
1 pound cavatappi or elbow pasta
8 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
3 cups fat free milk
1/4 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 2 min. of cooking time, drain and set aside. Melt 2 tbs margarine, combine with breadcrumbs and set aside. Heat broiler. In pot, melt remaining margarine until bubbly, 1 min. Stir in flour cook until mixture is golden, 2 min.
---Whisk in milk until combined and smooth. Whisk in paprika, garlic powder, salt, turmeric and cayenne. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, 2 min. Remove from heat, stir in cheese until melted. In bowl, combine sauce with tuna and reserved pasta mixture. Transfer to 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs, broil until golden, 2 min. then SERVE...
An egg cheese pie with bacon, onions, roasted red pepper and seasonings.
4 oz Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbs dried herbes de Provence
6 slices bacon, cut into pieces
2 1/4 cups flour
2 cups fat free milk
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
5 tbs ice water
2/3 cup margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
In bowl, cut margarine into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until dough forms. Shape into disk, wrap and refrigerate 2 hours. Heat oven to 375°. On floured surface, roll out dough to fit 9" pie pan. Transfer to pie pan, trim and flute edges. Line dough with enough foil to overhang edges slightly, fill with dried beans.
---Bake until edges are lightly golden, 7 min. Remove foil and beans, cool slightly. In skillet, cook bacon until crisp, 8 min. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tbs fat from skillet. To fat in skillet, add onion, herbes, salt and pepper, cook until onions brown, 10 min. Remove from skillet, cool 15 min. Transfer to pie shell, sprinkle with chopped pepper and reserved bacon. Beat eggs with milk, pour over filling in crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 45 min. or until filling sets in center, then SERVE...
* 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 3/4 cup butter, divided
* 3 cups sugar
* 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
* 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) vanilla or white chips
* 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
* 2 envelopes unsweetened black cherry soft drink mixDirections
* Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cream and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 4 minutes.
* Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla chips and marshmallow creme. Pour 1 cup into a bowl; set aside. Stir black cherry drink mix into the remaining marshmallow mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Spoon reserved marshmallow mixture over top; cut through mixture with a knife to swirl.
* Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Using foil, lift fudge out of pan. Discard foil; cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.Yield: about 3 pounds.
* 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
* 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
* 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
* 1 medium green pepper, chopped
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
* 1 green onion, chopped
* 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 4 eggs
* 3 cups 2% milkDirections
* In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, sausage, bacon, green pepper, 1 cup cheese and onion. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
* In another bowl, whisk the biscuit mix, salt, eggs and milk; pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
* Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.Yield: 12 servings.