We gave the traditional Advent calendar a creative kick, turning it into a festive garland that reuses your kids' colorful socks. Tucked inside are notes, games, and goodies for kids to receive -- one sock for each day leading up to the Jolly Old Elf's visit.
- 25 socks
- 25 mini clothespins (available at craft supply stores)
- Stocking hangers, painter's tape, or pushpins
- 6-foot length of cord, string, or ribbon
- SUGGESTIONS FOR SPECIAL SOCK STUFFERS:
- "Get Out of Chores Free" or "Pick a Movie Rental" cards -- each good for one use!
- A puzzle distributed in pieces among the socks; kids can put it together over the course of the month
- Trading or sports cards
- Special coins such as foreign currency or a silver dollar -- chocolate coins are always a hit too!
- Music or other gift cards
- Jokes or riddles (stick the punch line in the next day's sock; see AZKIDSNET.COM for ideas)
- A game (a Mad Libs or Sudoku a day)
- Art supplies, such as a mini paint kit and pad
- A special ornament to add to the tree
- A new pair of socks!
To make your "calendar," fill the 25 socks with small treats, using our list of suggestions or your own ideas.
Use a marker to number the mini clothespins with 1 through 25.
To assemble the calendar, use stocking hangers, painter's tape, or pushpins to temporarily hang a 6-foot length of cord, string, or ribbon within easy reach of a child. Clip the treat-filled socks to the cord in numerical order, then each day have kids remove one to discover their surprises.