Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hot in Alabama

What can I say, It's Hot in Alabama in August. it's suppose to be.. but not "This" hot !

Keeping the inside of the camper cool is working. two air conditoners working are keeping us in the mid 80's at least. Which is about 20 or so degrees less that what it is outside.

It's too hot too cook much. And I keep finding recipes I want to make, again.

My older brother just had a birthday.. Happy Birthday Thom. I hope you had some fun on your day.

The glass plate in the microwave broke. Jerry was making popcorn when it broke. Since I usually use it to make Jerry's lunch tea, I had to come up with something a bit different. So I take a clear, clean, 2 quart plastic bottle with a lid, fold the tea bags and push through the opening. Put the lid on and place out on the camper step to brew in the sun for at leas 20 minutes. Bring in, and let cool. I take the water I took out of the bottle and put in a small pan n the stove with 1/4th cup sugar and warm just enough for it to disolve into the water. Let cool. pour both into the tea pitcher and place in the fridge to chill. while I have the pan out, I make Jello as well. Done bofore 10 am and the camper stays cool.

Thought I would include my favorite cake I use to make while growing up.

Poor man cake

1/2 C Lard

2 C Sugar

2 1/2 C Flour

1/2 c Cocoa

1 tsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Vanilla

1 C Hot Water

1 Tbls Vinegar

Cream Sugar and lard. Sift together flour, Cocoa and Baking Soda combine vinegar, water and vanilla.

Add each in parts to the creamed sugar mixture. Bake at 350o for 30 to 45 minutes.

From my childhood. Love this cake, it is a heavy cake. We never gav mom a chance to ice it, but any icing will work on it...

No comments: