Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Monday after Superbowl 51

 
We missed the game.. Not that I minded that. But it does sound like it might have been a good game. Of course, I heard all about it on the morning news, before leaving the house this morning to take the rest of our laundry to our daughters home to get it done while Hubs is taking the car to get the starter replaced... and it took us over 1/2 an hour to get it to start this morning and he had to walk to the parts store for some starting fluid.
Daughter and the kids were just headed out their door when we got to her home to do a bit more laundry
 
I'm going to do a bit of straightening up in the bathrooms to help Daughter out. They are not in bad shape, but a good sweeping and picking up of a few things will help out. The kids are, well... kids.  So use to Mom picking up and doing that they don't see that they are leaving a mess for someone else to clean up.. I feel a bit sorry for when they move out on their own and discover that their dirty clothes will stay in the middle of the bathroom floor until they pick them up and deal with them on their own instead of them "Magically" putting themselves into the dirty clothes hamper to be washed by that "Magical" machine in the other room. Now, I can't say all that much. I waited until each of our three were in their tweens before really getting on them about picking up after them selves  and then really getting on them to do the daily stuff like dishes, cooking, laundry and just in general, picking up after they were done with stuff. I was not and still am not a 'Clean Freak'. 
 
I looked into the kids rooms... of course the boy's room is typical of any 9 yr old boy.  Not impossible but sure could use his attention in there. He sleeps out in the living room as does his sister so the rooms are almost more like "office" for them.. a place to keep the things they are not needing at the moment.  Her's looks much neater but at going on 13, it should. 
 
I admit, I spent more than I should have at the store before going to their home yesterday.  I had already made up my mind to cook or at least provide, dinner..but when the roast that Hubby brought me was way too small for 5 people and way too much ($12) I asked him to put it back and get me two pounds of burger instead. He bought the "good" stuff at 93% lean... it was just over $7 but it sure went a lot further than that roast would have gone. And So, burger, two cans of Beans in a Chili sauce, two cans of diced tomatoes and two packets of Chili seasoning and we were set. Since it's her kitchen and she was home. I just had Daughter put it together. She said her Chili never comes out very good.. I do wish I had thought to get an onion but then Hubby might not have eaten it if he knew there was 'real" onion in it.(He's funny about onion) Still, it turned out very well and there isn't any left for today. Of course the boy didn't want any chili but he never eats much of what I cook anyway and she got him a small pizza instead... he'd not been feeling well for two days so I'm surprised he ate that, but it's one of the "go to" foods for him.
 
The "Flu" is going around the schools and I am doing what I can to keep from getting it since I wasn't able to get the shot this past fall. The county north of ours has closed schools for today and tomorrow because of the Flu and I'm in hopes it stays up there and not come down here. If it does, I may end up staying at Daughters for a few days to help care for the kids while she's at work. I  can do that. WE will see. Hubby hasn't been feeling well for a couple of days so his missing today might help him get over it without having to call in sick. He had already arranged to have today off, to get the starter on the car replaced. We have the starter, he just can't get the old one off so the new one can go on. There is an auto shop 1/2 a block away that said they can put it on the rack and do that for us. Don't know how much that is going to cost yet. Depends on how much they charge for shop time any more.
 
My "Craft Project" for this week is to find all the cards I have kept and put them in a binder, in page protectors, and use them for ideas to make my own cards with. I have found Christmas Cards, Thank You cards, Thanks for being my friend cards and a couple of cars I can't remember when they came in but are cute so I kept them.
 
I have two other projects I want/need to work on.  The Soon to be 13 years old Grand Daughters' birthday is next week and I have started her a recipe box two years ago, putting in recipes that I thought she might like to have. I sat here at their table last light and went through her recipe book and wrote down all "Her" recipes so I can print them onto index cards and put into a wooden recipe box. But the box needs to be finished before I give it to her and I think I now know what I'll be doing to it. I'm going to find pictures of the family and use some mod podge and cover the box with them. But first I need to get some sand paper and go over it to make it smooth.
 
I also want to make a Mouse pad for her. I have the cork, I just need to go through all my papers and see if I can find one with peace signs on it. I want to make one for myself, as well.. and If I can find the paper I am thinking of, I'll make one for her brother to use. Either "leather" or Steal Plating" paper. That would be very "Male" for him, I think.

Billie C.







No comments: